Home Action Replay Page Forum Index Home Action Replay Page
Home Action Replay Page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to create CHD files for mess (Sticky?)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home Action Replay Page Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chad
Supereditor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:19 am    Post subject: How to create CHD files for mess (Sticky?) Reply with quote

extract iso/wav data from cdrom hopefuly the extraction program creates a cue file, then make sure you have about as much memory free as there is in the compressed extracted files, then

chdman.exe createcd -i *.cue -o out.chd

or for chdman versions 145 or less

chdman.145 -createcd *.cue out.chd

This should make a chd file you can use in the device for your mess CD system. But a thread will follow that details errors and problems that might happen. Particularly you may need the chdman version of the same version of mame you are needing to use to run the chd.

Last edited by Chad on Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:27 am; edited 2 times in total
Chad
Supereditor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I followed these steps for some PSX extracted files and they worked. But the Mega CD extraction of Switch (J) mame run is giving me
Code:
Device Cdrom load failed: Unspecified error

I'm wondering I used chdman v.146 and using mame 145, do i need to find the chdman v.145?

*EDIT* yes that was it doing the 145 method worked, so you have to use the chdman that is at least backward compatible with the mame, if you record with a later mame, i think you can convert the older created chd with a conversion chdman utility

chdman.145 -update in.chd out.chd

(There is NOT an update in chdman 146+, I tried using the copy but it doesn't convert old chd's to 146 chds... Kale or others may know more about this.)
Kale

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notice that you can also use a normal bin/cue (I think from 0.145). Like:

mess system_name -cdrom "blah.cue"

Obviously the bin file must be in the same directory specified inside the cue itself.
Chad
Supereditor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool, yes -cdrom *.cue does work but mame seems to preform more slowly. I guess it's probably better to make the chd then, though does that mean you still need to keep the cue and bin files extracted to again convert into a chd when chdman changes? Or is there an "update" function in the new chdman that will convert old chds to new?
mahlemiut
Supereditor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"chdman copy" is used to update CHDs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home Action Replay Page Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: