Home Action Replay Page Forum Index Home Action Replay Page
Home Action Replay Page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HC 2011 - Grand finals
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home Action Replay Page Forum Index -> HARP Championships
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gameboy9
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:24 am    Post subject: HC 2011 - Grand finals Reply with quote

Sorry I didn't submit this round... I knew Spaceman was going to destroy me in Wec Le Mans, so... yeah, I knew I didn't have a chance. On the other side, TRB was able to defeat MJS in Wec Le Mans, so the grand final is TRB vs. Spaceman.

The two games are Super Street Fighter II for the Genesis, and The Pyramid for the Spectrum. This will be a percentage scoring algorithm for both games. No multipliers will be applied for winning a particular game, FYI. (mainly because there's only one Pyramid difficulty)

Good luck to you both!
Spaceman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I was hoping that MJS could of beaten TRB Crying or Very sad
MJS
System Leader

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Spaceman. Sorry I couldn't play Wec Le Mans properly. Crying or Very sad
Btw, thanks also for the tip about using spec128, I got it working in the end.
You have to either unzip it and use -dump "Wec Le Mans.z80", or keep it zipped but with no other file inside the zip. If you use the HARP snapshot as is, it won't work because it includes a txt file. Weird MESS problem, it must be.

I didn't have enough free time to play the games properly (in fact, most games I only played on Sundays) but despite of this, I enjoyed the tournament.

Count me in for the next Spectrum tournament, and why not, I'll play some spectrum games in regulation play. You may have to hear me bitch about no sound, lack of colorful sprites, etc Razz but I enjoy the games. Many of them I played on MSX because many companies used to convert them for MSX so they bring back good memories.

Now, good luck to both finalists!!!
TRB_MetroidTeam

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys!

I also was hoping gb9 would beat Spaceman Wink

I am lucky MJS is not playing so much, like me (MJS knows the reason). I played just 3 hours before the deadline, and focused in one game. My choice was the shortest game... I saw on HARP scores that Wec Le Mans is about 10 minutes, while Trashman is longer (MJS's score was 24'). Well, and luckly I like racing games. Again, congrats MJS.

About SSF2, I agree in not using multipliers here. But that's "Super Mode" or "Super Mode Expert" to be played? Considering what I said in the Game Selection post, if the word is mine, "Super Mode Expert" would be the mode. Right?

PS.: The only difference in "Super Mode Expert" is that you are able to play 16 instead of 12 stages.

Good luck Spaceman!
TRB_MetroidTeam

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRB_MetroidTeam wrote:
About SSF2, I agree in not using multipliers here.

... but I think we need to require a specific difficulty, and I suggest the default "4". Ok?

And about the "speed" as "any speed", or maybe the default speed "0". PS.: It's just preference related.
Frankie
System Leader

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJS wrote:

Count me in for the next Spectrum tournament, and why not, I'll play some spectrum games in regulation play. You may have to hear me bitch about no sound, lack of colorful sprites, etc Razz but I enjoy the games. Many of them I played on MSX because many companies used to convert them for MSX so they bring back good memories.

Nice, but please stick to the official snapshots. If they don't work on WolfMess, then try to use Spectaculator. Can't you use the Freeware version of it?

HARP Spectrum System Leader.
http://www.zxspectrum.homeactionreplay.org/index.php

HARP Amiga System Leader:
http://forums.homeactionreplay.org/viewforum.php?f=29
MJS
System Leader

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankie wrote:
Nice, but please stick to the official snapshots. If they don't work on WolfMess, then try to use Spectaculator. Can't you use the Freeware version of it?

They probably don't work because of the problem I described in my previous post. So next time, I know what to try.

I am a little reluctant to use other emulators because it's the best we've got if you want to make sure there is no cheating involved (recording speed for example). In fact, I always thought it was the preferred version to use for HARP.

But ok, it's not the first time you tell me to use Spectaculator so I'll download it and keep it around for the next time one of the official snapshots don't work with WolfMESS.

Thanks Frankie.
Frankie
System Leader

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJS wrote:
Frankie wrote:

They probably don't work because of the problem I described in my previous post. So next time, I know what to try.

I am a little reluctant to use other emulators because it's the best we've got if you want to make sure there is no cheating involved (recording speed for example). In fact, I always thought it was the preferred version to use for HARP.

But ok, it's not the first time you tell me to use Spectaculator so I'll download it and keep it around for the next time one of the official snapshots don't work with WolfMESS.

Thanks Frankie.

Spectaculator is just as secure when it comes to speed issues. It stops the recording when the speed drops. No offense to WolfMESS, but Spectaculator gives a much more true feeling of the Spectrum games, and I should know :)

We have tools to test if recordings are made in Compo mode and all, so it is just as secure as WolfMESS :)

Try downloading the Freeware version, and give it a go.

mahlemiut
Supereditor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If only Spectaculator ran under Wine... Sad
Frankie
System Leader

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mahlemiut wrote:
If only Spectaculator ran under Wine... Sad

No sorry about that :(

But for those who likes gadgets, it's now for iPhone, iPod Touch & iPad :)

http://www.spectaculator.com/

gameboy9
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And we have a winner! It's TRB_MetroidTeam. He wound up winning both games and he is your 2011 HARP Champion.

Congratulations!
Spaceman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done to TRB. I didn't really stand a chance on Street Fighter, so I didn't expect to win to be honest, I gave it a go though.
TRB_MetroidTeam

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations for Spaceman and everyone. Nice sportmanship guys!
Very good games, mainly the Spectrum games, system that I never played before! Rainbow Island was the best, and the only game I could play a bit more.

Thanks Barthax, MJS and Spaceman (that I played against), also gameboy9 (as coordinator) and Gapporin.
TRB_MetroidTeam

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, some notes:

1 - The Tournament scores count in the leaderboards?

2 - Is it right all the HC2011 variations are set as "Atari Lynx" system (into "info" link)?

3 - As I said before, I suggest next time don't use the rule "All grand-final rounds will consist of two games, which will be selected from games the finalists select". It was good to have at least one of my games in the competition, but for competition purposes, I suggest to avoid this rule in the final.

4 - I also suggest using that "regular" double-elimination brackets format next time. I started adding info on Challonge ( http://challonge.com/hc2011 ), but later the format didn't fit, and our format was different :)

5 - My Wec Le Mans final INP was uploaded as "WolfMESS 5.30.0371" instead of "SpectacWin 5.30.0371", but I can't change it now. Using "Utilities" link, I changed the field and got an "Score description edit applied!" message, but it didn't change! These changes are not in real-time, or there are any issue in the site.
gameboy9
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 - No they don't. You need to resubmit to their respective regulation play games to get credit.
2 - I had to set the tournament to a particular system, so I just chose the Atari Lynx. It really doesn't affect anything... just a weird design thing.
3 & 4 - Thanks for the suggestions - hopefully somebody will take a look at that for next year. I'll make a comment about that in the near future.
5 - Taken care of.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home Action Replay Page Forum Index -> HARP Championships All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: