Home Action Replay Page Forum Index Home Action Replay Page
Home Action Replay Page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pete's pipe dream for HARP
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home Action Replay Page Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gameboy9
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject: Pete's pipe dream for HARP Reply with quote

I have a little pipe dream for this site. I dream to merge this site with MARP, using HARP's format. What are the odds of this occurring? Probably not bloody likely. But hey, one's allowed to dream, isn't he?

But think about it. You could easily set up time trial games for those that need it... you could easily counter a game full of leeching by changing it to a "most stages, least time" game.

But, again, it's just a pipe dream...
Chad
Supereditor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: completly possible Reply with quote

there is nothing stopping you except some php python programming, adding times and stages completed to the marp database seems oh so trivial, adding time splits seems a bit harder but maybe we just import all the marp downloads as an Arcade System Regulation Play and leave marp in the dust :)

Zwaxy is pretty open to any good idea and is willing to make changes. just ask.
gameboy9
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I might put a post on MARP at some point... probably to a point where it gets ignored.

Because I have no real clout in MARP these days, my post most likely is a pipe dream.

I can tell you this: MARP probably doesn't need the structure I helped create many years ago, where you have elections and confidence votes. It probably needs a structure similar to what we have here: choose a leader, who then decides on editors, knockout coordinator(s), and such. Maybe you can set up "system leaders" such as editors of racing games... fighting games... neo geo games... stuff like that.

But again, I think that I'm just playing fantasy here.
Chad
Supereditor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone has clout it's someone who speaks loudly... The elections are probably overkill with a recession still working the world market but it was a good idea at the time. A little feather rustling is good once in a while, go for it.
mahlemiut
Supereditor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Main issue would be that MARP is very much a MAME site (that is what the M in MARP stands for, after all Wink), whereas HARP supports multiple emulators, not just MESS.

One thing I would like to see for HARP, would be the ability for users to upload for games of their choice, rather than us maintaining long-ass lists of software. There would need to be fields for CRCs of the software image(s), but I can see problems with those systems that support multiple images at once (like the X68000), and getting dumb people to figure out how to get the CRC of an image... and then if we ever could support full multi-disk games (there are X68000 games that span more than a dozen disks)...
Chad
Supereditor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be a tough sell for mame users, but it makes so much sense to score certain games by stages regardless if they are console or arcade games.

wolfmess can support records with using 16 disks, if I add the loading options 5-16. do you need anything more to happen from of the sharp system to handle multiple disks?
mahlemiut
Supereditor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disk swapping would be the main issue, as the system generates an interrupt whenever a disk is inserted or ejected. There are already two-disk games supported, as the games typically allow the two disks to each be in drive 0 and 1, since the X68000 comes with two 5.25" (or 3.5" for the XVI and X68030 Compact) drives as standard.

I believe the Amiga is also the same, generating interrupts on disk swapping.

These would require disk loading and unloading to be signalled within the replay.
gameboy9
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry: You raise two good points. With regards to your first point, I suggest possibly renaming this page to the MESS Action Replay Page (since that's what we use for the most part)....... which is MARP! :)

It's also a good idea with your second point.

My only problem with this pipe dream is programming it. I haven't had much motivation or, more importantly, time, to improve this site. So I really should consider giving somebody else a shot at it.
Chad
Supereditor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The groundwork for pipe-ing MARP into a HARP like system has started. We need a poll and zwaxy approval and it will be done.

http://forums.marpirc.net/viewtopic.php?p=50866#p50866
gameboy9
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And it looks like it didn't get very far. Sad Yet?
Chad
Supereditor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can't happen automagically :). I figure the royal We (you) should start a poll maybe discussion first, then if successful we mail zwaxy and thy shall be done.
gameboy9
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q.T.Quazar wrote:
it would be nice to just merge the two and put about 5 of you in control of edits and changes, so that someone was always active. MARP as it stands has a definite problem--if no-one enforces/actualizes the votes/decisions/mods, then community interest drops pretty rapidly. structurally, you always want to be evolving into something better--not just trying to hold ground or regressing.

(from HARP Improvements/suggestions thread)

Hey QT - take a look at this thread.
gameboy9
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, a problem with MARP is that it's programmed in Python. I tried to learn Python, but I found that language to be very complex. Tacking on the fact that trying to understand another person's programming is like trying to learn a new foreign language... yeah.

The only way MARP is going to evolve once again is that somebody changes this site to a PHP site, or some other popular web language. And we'll need Zwaxy's blessing... and I'm afraid that that's tough to come by these days, it seems. Oh yeah... if we wanted to merge the two sites together, we would have to merge two databases together... and who knows how MARP's database is set up.

Well, OK, to be fair, nobody but me knows how HARP's DB is setup either. Smile
Q.T.Quazar
System Leader

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is the argument i was trying to have with you years ago.

i still think leadership of the sites should be non-democratic, but ownership and input should be as democratic as possible (management vs. investment, if you will). in a sense, reward and effort should equate to influence--which is essentially how the open source model works, in a practical sense. free to adapt, but the people that put the time in are the ones who have the real say in the end (which is mediated by not antagonizing the general public).

otherwise, you get people that clock in, and are pivotal for a while, but drop off and end up becoming obstructions, but cannot be released or bypassed because they own the 'property' (even the 'creator'). we're still very attached to this idea of 'my creation, so i own it' on the Net, unfortunately.

you also get people that end up with equal say when they really shouldn't have it--but that runs strongly counter to most people's ideas of 'democracy' (although it is not counter to the original political use of democracy--a means of negating the potential formation of tyranny). representative democracy is only effective when the prime value is the value of a human or a human's well-being in the first place--ie: government. otherwise, it's a terrible model.

but that's just my perspective.

as far as a merger goes, as you point out, either someone learns, or we find the talent. i don't think it's too impossible. then again, i don't want to be the one who has to learn, so i don't have much say in the matter Smile
gameboy9
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can understand where you're coming from. That being said, MARP wasn't my site. It was Zwaxy's. That's why I set up a democracy. Was it the best move I ever made in my life? No. But I felt that was the best way to go. Maybe I was wrong in the final analysis. There hasn't been a knockout tournament(MAME Championships) since 2008, and I have a feeling that there won't be one this year either. One could say that the democracy is a result of this gap.

HARP IS my site... so that's why it's not a democracy. Smile It's pretty much set up just as you described it.

HARP most certainly is not as successful as MARP. But I know I have the better site, even if I did nothing further to it. I think that was my original point of making HARP, actually...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home Action Replay Page Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: