Home Action Replay Page Forum Index Home Action Replay Page
Home Action Replay Page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Attn Barry: WolfMess issue?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home Action Replay Page Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Q.T.Quazar
System Leader

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject: Attn Barry: WolfMess issue? Reply with quote

Hey BR--just wondering this because something gb9 said the other day tweaked me that this might be an issue, and i thought it might be related to the new ui.

that is, i can't seem to switch controllers OUTSIDE of the new UI at all. no matter what i do, it stays on normal joystick control. changing it inside the new UI lets me use the new controller, but i have to repeat the process again, and i can't seem to use multiple controllers simulataneously (meaning the actual controller, not the emulated one)

does the new WolfMess have a priority fight going on between the regular menu and the in-emulation UI?

hope this is clear, my language is a little fuzzy.
mahlemiut
Supereditor

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either way should work, although I have had issues in the past with the "new UI" with mouse inputs interfering with configuring inputs. Any controller you intend to use should be plugged in before you start up MESS or MESSUI. New UI is disabled by default, and it might be wise to leave it disabled, and stick with the MAME-familiar TAB menu. I'm sure multiple joysticks can be used at once (you can multiple mice after all...).
Q.T.Quazar
System Leader

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but, that's what I'm saying/ Either way doesn't work. Only the new UI works, even with the feature checked on or off. I can't use a paddle unless I manually switch it with in the new UI, for example.
Q.T.Quazar
System Leader

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, Mountain King and Millipede both cause the program to crash out when exiting these games. Not sure what this related to or if I report this to you, or MESS team, or if it's a ROM issue. Please advise.
mahlemiut
Supereditor

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had crashes on startup with Mountain King, so it's not just you. :)

What OS are you using? There have been a few odd crashes under 32-bit versions of WinXP, including locking up when it does crash. MAMEdev no longer really support WinXP.

For WolfMESS specific stuff, talk to Skito, or for generic MESS stuff, then you can talk to me (I'm on the MESSdev list) or post a bug report on Bugzilla. That being said, I generally use SDLMESS, rather than the Windows version, although I can build and use it (just takes ages to compile).

EDIT: crash on exit confirmed for those two games. Could be related to the crashes I get on startup on WinXP, will investigate.
Q.T.Quazar
System Leader

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm on Vista.

still no answer on the ui thing? i can run that by skito as well and see what he thinks.
Chad
Supereditor

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for ui switching, i'm not 100% sure on the exact issue but i'm assuming switching the controllers before mess starts is ok and i would just do what ever works around it. If there is an option in newui, there is probably a way to change it in oldui. I'm always missing more options in newui which is why i use oldui and make it the wolfmess default. Though, i've never tried that paddle switch that you are talking about.

I've had wolfmame.exe crash on exit many occasions, i didn't notice if mountain king crashed after I played it back but i'll check it out. I was using xp.
mahlemiut
Supereditor

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no issue with setting inputs using multiple controllers. I don't use the new UI much (it's nice for loading software, but it otherwise just gets in the way). If you're using an analog paddle, though, you might want to make sure mouse support is enabled, if the controller is pretending to be a mouse.
Q.T.Quazar
System Leader

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, that's what I'm saying. It doesn't work. Nothing in the menus affects the controls in my WolfMESS.

Im not explaining this right. I set up the options in the menu, under 'properties' for the specific system, or whatever. Let's say it's a paddle game, so I set paddle control to 'mouse'. Then i go to play it. Nothing happens if I try to use the mouse.

I have to change 'left controller-->paddle' under the new UI to get it to work, and then because that desynchs prformance, i have to quit and restart the game/emulation if i'm recording.

I don't see any way of doing this from the regular menu system.
Chad
Supereditor

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see now, there must be some way of doing that from the command line or ini files. And those control menus are horrible, you can barely program a joystick button the 2nd or 3rd time you try. The messui is not kept in a nice stable way.

I also experienced the mountain king dealy, it is not a crash but an infinite loop somewhere. I saw it on startup and exit (just after it successfully playedback) I did not notice the inf loop the first time i played it back, which is strange because i'm seeing it everytime now, before and after working.
mahlemiut
Supereditor

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The startup crash (it is a crash, as you can see in the console) is gone in current SVN, and the exit crash is caused by some nasty overwriting of memory region data (rather than the RAM it contains). I've filed a bug report for it, and am looking at it as much as I can.

As for paddle controls, it should work, so long as you have mouse support enabled (-mouse), and should even be set up correctly by default. I will have a look at this later.
mahlemiut
Supereditor

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, paddle support works fine for me. Are you setting the paddle control for one of the controllers (Categories menu)?
Q.T.Quazar
System Leader

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol... Barry, I can't even find a 'categories' menu... i have a 'controllers' and 'controller input' menu
mahlemiut
Supereditor

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The categories menu shown below:

Q.T.Quazar
System Leader

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

now i clue in. thanks :)

did you add the colorful background on purpose? :)

i'm a rainbow n00b Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home Action Replay Page Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: