Home Action Replay Page Forum Index Home Action Replay Page
Home Action Replay Page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HARP Championships - Randomize or players pick?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home Action Replay Page Forum Index -> HARP Championships
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gameboy9
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:33 am    Post subject: HARP Championships - Randomize or players pick? Reply with quote

OK - so it really doesn't matter to me what we do to select games for this tournament... so I'll let you decide. Randomize the games using the method I listed in the previous thread and play one game over seven days w/ three days rest, or allow the players to pick a game each and play two games over six(or more) days?

This vote ends....... whenever I feel like it. Razz
MJS
System Leader

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote for player's pick, but IMO this should be done before the tournament begins.

In other words, I think it would be great to have a schedule like this:

First round (June 2-7)
Atari 2600 River Raid (a2600)
Atari 7800 Galaga (a7800)

Second round (June 9-14)
NES Ms Pac-man (nes)
MSX2 Bubble Bobble (hbf900)

etc.

So that everyone has time to get everything up and running.

I don't know if you already said this but, for each week we can play any of that week's games, right? This way I think it's better (contrary to splitting the week in 2 and play game A first, and game B last) because if we get bored of playing game A we can switch to game B.
gameboy9
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah... well, I guess we could randomize which players pick what games and then we can predetermine the games that way.

In which case, we might have to start play one week after registration...

But yeah, it's two games over six or seven days, not play one game the first three days, then play the second for the last three days.
gameboy9
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an idea. Why don't we do both? This is a little funny... I'm thinking of how the old MARP Tournaments ran. We all pick five games(perhaps saying you have to pick different genres with each game, or allow one repeat), then I randomize based on the score, stages, and time of series of ten scores, modulo each time.

So, with there being five registrations, we each would pick five games, then we take the 25 games and pick a game(or two) for each round. (3 to 6 games total)........ ooooo! Pick one game for each round, except the final, which will be two games with a percentage scoring system.

I'm starting to like this idea a lot! Smile What do you all think?
MJS
System Leader

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good, and we know from MARP this ends up with good recordings. Making it all random was too extreme in my opinion.

So if nobody disagrees, we should start picking the games! :)

I was thinking, since there are so many games, and we mostly have experience in one or two systems, maybe it will be better if each player picks 5 games for those systems he/she is familiar with (different genres of course) so that we don't pick games we don't really know very much - ie, I wouldn't know what to pick if you take me outside MSX/MSX2 (not really true, but you know what I mean :P)
Kale

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound good.

imho people should be forced to pick up games that he DOESN'T have recordings.
gameboy9
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm... that's a good argument. My issue, however, is that would benefit people who are good at a particular game that exists on a lot of systems.

So, let's compromise. Pick up to 4 games with 50% OR GREATER involving games you haven't submitted a recording for. So, if you pick one game, it has to be a game you haven't submitted a recording for. Two games gives you the opportunity to pick one game you HAVE submitted a recording for. Three games = 2 w/ no recording, and four games will = 2 w/ a recording. Sound fair?
Kale

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fine, but I'll vote games that I don't have recordings yet Razz
gameboy9
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home Action Replay Page Forum Index -> HARP Championships All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: