Home Action Replay Page Forum Index Home Action Replay Page
Home Action Replay Page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WolfMESS/MAME thought...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home Action Replay Page Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gameboy9
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: WolfMESS/MAME thought... Reply with quote

I just thought of something. I don't know if this has already been done, but if not, would it be possible for WolfMESS/MAME to connect to the internet, get the current time in GMT, then encode it into the INP?

It'd be great if it was possible... then we wouldn't need a 24-hour rule in tournament... we'd have a 24-MINUTE rule. Smile
mahlemiut
Supereditor

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than we can't assume everyone has a permanent internet connection, nor can we assume the quality of anyone's connection. It'd probably be more of a hassle for some users, but sure, it's possible. Look how well requiring an internet connection has worked for Assassin's Creed II Smile
gameboy9
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you could just have a command line switch "-tournament" which would connect to somewhere on the internet, get the current time in GMT, and record that time as the start time to the INP. 8 byte transfer, that's it. Then the program can calculate the end-time of the INP and report that at the end of playback.

Again, just a thought. But I do agree... can't assume everybody has a permanent internet connection, and in a tournament situation, you probably would lose participants if one required an internet connection to record INPs.
Chad
Supereditor

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It still doesn't give a more secure recording. No matter how you do it storing a time from the net can be spoofed.

I would be for it if there was a response sent to the server which stores the local time that will be stored in the inp, and then the server time in GMT on the server. If you wanted to lookup proof of a recording you look at the server log with the inp's local time and you can get the true GMT. Just as long as the servers log is not hacked, you have pretty good security there. If you can send/record the end time as well you've got it locked down, that requires you to be more or less continuously logged in during recording and ok not as default but -tournament optioned out.
gameboy9
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually... have the server send down its time in GMT... AND record that time in the server log. That way, if they spoof the start time, it's easy to catch, and that person is DQed. BRILLIANT! :)

I don't like doing internet stuff at the end of the recording. That would mean a person would have to maintain the internet connection throughout the entire recording, which is not guaranteed by any stretch of the imagination.
Chad
Supereditor

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking more: if you assume they are connected in the beginning you can and really need that security for the end time.

You can spoof the beginning time, if we only store start times. You can make your real recording last year. Then make a dummy recording, when ever the tournament master wants you to and store that dummy starting time in your last years recording for a winner.

It's also possible to recompile wolfmame/mess to record and playback at the same time, so you could dummy your recording of last year into the tournament by -playbacking it while you record during the tournament time. Hmm so now it all comes down to how can you tell a -playback/-recorded inp over just a -recorded one. I think we are getting closer to perfect security here.
MJS
System Leader

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, do we really need that kind of security?

I think WolfMESS as it is, is good enough (there are things to improve of course) but this will not help much IMO... Barry what do you think?

To me, when it comes to cheating, I think it's easy to spot who is cheating and who isn't (by the gameplay).
Chad
Supereditor

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not really necessary for us but when mame/mess go global (probably never happen) it would be a nice way of truly confirming recordings were actually made by the player and not facilitated by some other means slowdown/pause/re-recording. This is my goal and it'll probably happen when mess goes global (never :)
gameboy9
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJS... when it comes to the HARP tournament we're going to have... no, we don't. As far as I'm concerned, that will be an "on your honor" tournament. Casual, as I've mentioned.

It MIGHT be a good idea if MARP ever gets their Championships back up again though. :)

I can see your point, Chad, but, again, I'm sure that there are many people who might rely on a dial-up that might disconnect from them. If that happens... well... that player surely won't be happy, will they?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home Action Replay Page Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: