Home Action Replay Page Forum Index Home Action Replay Page
Home Action Replay Page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HARP Championships
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home Action Replay Page Forum Index -> HARP Championships
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gameboy9
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: HARP Championships Reply with quote

... this time... it's for real! :)

I started a tournament on HARP... I figure we set up a knockout tournament just like the MAME Championships on MARP.

I figure, seeing that we probably won't get a ton of registration, we just do a head-to-head tournament with seeding based on average leaderboard points scored on HARP. Or we can rank by committee. :)

I'll figure out more rules later, but you can signup by clicking the "Tournament Registration" link. Registration ends May 31st.
gameboy9
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here's what I'm thinking for rules:

- Each round consists of two games, one selected by one person, the other by that person's opponent.
- Play for six days. (so two games per week)
- Whoever gets the highest percentage points wins the round.
- The judges will be those who have registered for the tournament but are not playing in that particular matchup. (so if there are 4 players, and 1 is playing against 4, then 2 and 3 are the judges)
- If you choose to play some 20 hour long game, then come up with a goal that can be accomplished in less than an hour. (EG I could choose the Final Fantasy RPG where the recording ends when you complete the prologue by crossing the bridge)
- Based on what I just said, you may choose games where highest score wins, or least time wins. (or most time wins!)
- Games must be recordable and synced on MESS or Spectaculator (ZX Spectrum)... if you fail to do so, your choice will be forfeited.

That should be good groundwork.
gameboy9
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got an idea for ranking. 50% based on your rank (based on all players registered) on the leaderboard based on points alone, and 50% based on your rank of the average leaderboard points. Total the ranks... the lowest total gets the highest seed. If there's a tie, use leaderboard point rank to break it.

So under this system using current registration:

Metrackle = R1 pts + R1 avg = 2 (1 seed)
Gameboy9 = R2 pts + R2 avg = 4 (2 seed)
gameboy9
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

- You may not pick a game from the same genre as the game you picked from the previous round.
- Once you choose a game, you may not pick that game or it's sequels/clones for the remainder of the tournament, provided they are all in that same genre. (i.e. Say you chose Pac-Man/NES for round 1. You can't do Pac-Man/Atari 2600, Ms. Pac-Man/Sega, Pac-Mania/C64, etc. for the rest of the tournament. Pac-Attack (Puzzle) is OK, however.)
gameboy9
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Page is now up at HARP's Wiki:
http://wiki.homeactionreplay.org/index.php?title=2010_HARP_Championships
Kale

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess that we can use any WolfMESS version, right? I'm particularly thinking about Super Famicom games, they are currently too horse power demanding at the current time (hence the main reason about why I'm not using it atm)
gameboy9
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm fine with any WolfMESS version. I'm intending this to be a casual tournament... so none of that "YOU WILL USE THIS VERSION OR YOU LOSE" junk. Smile
MJS
System Leader

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you gb9 for organizing the first tourney!

I think it is a good idea that the it takes around 1 month, from my experience longer tournaments (eg. 2 months) get boring. It's also good to pick games of varied genres and for different systems, this will lead to a more equitative tournament, and most important, it will "force" us to play games we don't know.

The only thing I'm not so sure will work well, is the games being selected by the players for each round. Wouldn't that lead to players always picking games they're good at? I know most of us know each other and I'm sure all of us will participate to have fun (I for one won't pick a game I already know inside out, for example) but wouldn't it be better that each participant nominates games before the tournament starts (like a nomination round), then we agree on which of the nominated games are ok and choose the competition style, and then during the tournament pick games randomly from that list?

This way I think more people will be interested as they know from the beginning which games are going to be played, it will give us time to discuss about the games ok for the tournament (since computer and console games are not like arcade games where most are ok for a tournament), we will be able to test if the games work fine and with what emulator, etc.

Just my opinion, whatever we do in the end, count me in!
Chad
Supereditor

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not have random games from random tournaments? The games are randomly chosen, if they are crappy games or games that can be marathoned, we then discuss breaking the game down into a quick scorable fashion (like crossing the first bridge in an RPG, or maximizing the points in the first few levels of spider fighter)
gameboy9
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJS... yeah, it surely is something I've been thinking about, especially for a 3 or 4 round tournament. The way we could correct that is to say that you can't pick a game (or it's sequels/clones/etc.) that you have a top 3 score in. (you can't delete recordings here, so that takes care of anybody deleting scores in games they're really good at Wink )

Or... we could use Chad's idea. The problem with this is that I'll have to come up with a random number from 1 to 5,266(the number of games in regulation play). Now, what's a fair way to randomize? Well, we could add up the times of the last 20 recordings, multiply by 100, add points and stages, modulo by 5,266, and that's what we play...

Seedings are updated at the 2010 HARP Tournament page on the HARP Wiki. We have a full two round tournament. One more registration and we'll have a third round forming.

And now I got the 8 team bracket working! Smile I figure we'll get a fifth registration before too long. :)

One more thought on the random... if we go that route... then I would say seven day rounds with three days "rest" so we can argue if the randomized game is a good game or not. :)

The point in all of this is that I don't want to pick the games... we know what happens when I pick the games. Wink And I want to play anyway. Smile

Last edited by gameboy9 on Thu May 06, 2010 11:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kale

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the "finished game multiplication" rule valid for the tourney too?
gameboy9
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can do that, or we can say default difficulty. I'm game with either. Maybe we should say default(or hardest?) just to keep things consistent?
gameboy9
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Mahlemiut's registration, I have updated the 2010 HARP Championships Wiki page.

http://wiki.homeactionreplay.org/index.php?title=2010_HARP_Championships

You'll notice that I've been relegated to the first round. Smile
gameboy9
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops! I forgot to assess the fact that Barry was 8th in LB points and MJS was 10th. Therefore, I have the 3 seed and MJS has the 4 seed. My bad. Sad
negative1

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it too late to sign up?

looks like fun!
==========================
never mind.. i found the link..

i guess i can't read properly !!!!

too busy playing games...

although i have a lot of points, (and moved up the
leadboard) a lot of the games
i'm not that good at, and nobody else has played them
yet..

i like the arcade conversions mostly, and of course
all the pac-man games and variations.. not too good
at other genres yet..

later
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home Action Replay Page Forum Index -> HARP Championships All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: