Home Action Replay Page Forum Index Home Action Replay Page
Home Action Replay Page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MESS - stopping playbacks early

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home Action Replay Page Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gameboy9
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: MESS - stopping playbacks early Reply with quote

Hey folks:
I don't think it's anywhere in documentation, so can anybody tell me if there's a way to stop playback of a recording before the recording ends?

I wanted to look up how much experience each of my characters had in Phantasy Star III so I can reflect that in the score section of my recording.

Thanks! Smile
Chad
Supereditor

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trying to get out of testing the recording??? :) btw, i'm half way done with your ps3 inps, working so far. You can't stop recording and continue emulation that i'm aware of. That feature seems like a good one for wolfmame if it doesn't exist in mame.
Chad
Supereditor

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, what about making the F3 key do this, if you are recording and press the F3 key it's action is pointless since it will reset emulation and get out of synch with your recording. if you are recording and F3 is pressed the record file should be closed and turned off, so the next F3 will reset the machine.

Or maybe F3 during record should actually start the record file over (like zwaxy tried to do a while ago, but with nvram issues it becomes stinky) and a new key/command should be used for stoping playback.
Chad
Supereditor

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try making the reset function (i.e. F3) stop the recording during recording and stop the playback during playback seems like a good thing to do. Often i've wanted to "play" a recording in the middle of it but usually i have to edit the inp to stop at the place i want to start playing, but if you hit F3, this seems like the obvious function when playing back. So when it's not playing back or recording it will reset the machine, otherwise it will reset playback or recording. That crash should be looked at, if i get a chance to run sdlmess on ps4, i'll get a stack trace and see if the crash if trivial if kale hasn't already done this.
Chad
Supereditor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

back to the original request, I made a patch for this F3 functionality, it works very well. If recording or playing back, F3 (or the key that resets the machine) will terminate the input loading/writing. If not recording or playing back, F3 will reset the machine normally. It will be in wolfmess 132, and i'll submit it to mame if everyone has no issues with it.
Chad
Supereditor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry could try it out for a wolfmame132 release (this base patch works well in standard mess and mame), not only is it useful to see your score after recording (f3) but very useful for wanting to playback a lower level when you get to the middle of a recording and just want to start playing yourself (f3).

http://emulators.homeactionreplay.org/patches/f3_playback_record_reset.diff

*EDIT* forgot that get_playback_file() is not defined in mame or mess, which this patch expects, so this patch works only after applying the wolfmame patch.

Last edited by Chad on Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
gameboy9
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! Thanks, Chad.

EDIT: Just split the Phantasy Star IV stuff and put it in a separate Genesis topic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home Action Replay Page Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: