Home Action Replay Page Forum Index Home Action Replay Page
Home Action Replay Page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Difficulty Multipliers -> Divisors
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home Action Replay Page Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chad
Supereditor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Difficulty Multipliers -> Divisors Reply with quote

Can we use Divisors based upon how low the difficulty is instead of multiples based upon how high it is? It seems that most people will be using the highest diffuclty anyway and those that don't should not only be penalized by a lower score but the need to find the divisor to lower it by. So instead of having a shinobi score of 1095500*4=4382000 you would have 1095500/(4-4+1)=1095500, and someone recording at easiest difficulty and getting 1100000/(4-1+1)=275000.

Maybe it's just me but having too many different harp scores and high score screens at the end of games just doesn't seem right.
Kale

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably no because there are scores/numbers that you can't divide without losing something,for example: 664/3=221,(3). How to manage that?
mahlemiut
Supereditor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, at the very least, only difficulty level easier than the default ought to be divided. And since the multipliers only take effect when you finish the game, then people would just stop short of finishing to get more points, while playing on easier difficulty settings.
Chad
Supereditor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kale wrote:
Probably no because there are scores/numbers that you can't divide without losing something,for example: 664/3=221,(3). How to manage that?

surely there can be a floating point score. Plus who is going to compete at a lower multiplier when they can get way more score at the higher difficutly? I am still of the mind set that difficulties should be split at the very least rather than have a tiered scoring multiplication for them.

mahlemiut wrote:
No, at the very least, only difficulty level easier than the default ought to be divided. And since the multipliers only take effect when you finish the game, then people would just stop short of finishing to get more points, while playing on easier difficulty settings.

that's silly to only take into effect when finishing. that means someone who attempted the 3rd hardest level and barely didn't finish would almost always get a worse score than someone attempting then 2nd hardest level and does finish. I was assuming that multipliers are always in effect depending on difficulty. I guess it makes sense that someone completing half of the 3rd difficutly shouldn't get the same as someone finishing the entire 2nd difficulty.

*** Still, It seems these games shouldn't be compared in the same competition anyway, they should be split. It must be only me that thinks its wrong to multiply a score that is in the game...

Last edited by Chad on Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:24 am; edited 2 times in total
mahlemiut
Supereditor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it silly to just add a multiplier just because it's at a higher difficulty. You'll often be able to score higher at the same point compared to an easier difficulty also (depending on the game). And why should people be penalised because they don't want to change options, anyway?

I'd rather see the game finished on defaults, than see someone play much more poorly on a higher difficulty.
Chad
Supereditor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all the more reason to have it split, then a single player can finish the game on each dificulty and get boucoup points.
Kale

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chad wrote:
Kale wrote:

surely there can be a floating point score. Plus who is going to compete at a lower multiplier when they can get way more score at the higher difficutly?

It depends on the game.There are games that are annoying even on the default settings,for example my latest "Spiderman vs. Kingpin" recording:believe me or not,that's currently the only successful attempt of mine that goes beyond the THIRD level,kudos to anybody that will finish that on Nightmare difficulty... Mad Additionally notice that this specific game will not give ANY point if you detonate the bomb and beat Kingpin,so if you want to go to add a divider,this game...wait a minute,if I finish this game I will have less points and more time in proportion than my previous recording?

Quote:
I am still of the mind set that difficulties should be split at the very least rather than have a tiered scoring multiplication for them.

I never liked too much the idea of the "clones".Playing for 4/5 times on the same game for LB points...it will waste time to the competition that would be better used for beating other games,I agree only when the game gives enough differences in terms of gameplay.Since this site is a "son of MARP"...why we have to do the same errors? Wink
Chad
Supereditor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so... if you are just going to play one difficulty why not just set the difficulty to be that and everyone plays on the same level, no multiplier?

i'd want to try not to be more complicated than marp too.
mahlemiut
Supereditor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save the leaderboard for Tournaments! :)

It would be nice for people to just play the games how they see fit, and not have to worry that some punk can beat a completed score on normal difficulty, simply only get half way through on a higher difficulty.

I'm all for keeping it simple.
Chad
Supereditor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, still seems the simplest to pick your level of difficulty and then submit the score you get at that difficulty, not pick a difficulty figure out how many difficulties that is above minimum and then multiply it by your score to get something that is sort of a conglomerative ranking.

heh, if you really don't care about leaderboard, you wouldn't need to use a multiplier. sounds good to me. :)
mahlemiut
Supereditor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, the score should be the score you get. Period.

Fake scoring systems, especially when there's already one, are a pet peeve of mine. Smile
gameboy9
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if we want to throw out the multipliers, then I say that you always have to play on the hardest setting, and the easier settings are "side competitions".
Kale

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gameboy9 wrote:
Well, if we want to throw out the multipliers, then I say that you always have to play on the hardest setting, and the easier settings are "side competitions".

For the sake of god,NO! Crying or Very sad

You don't want the multiplier?Add a fourth column to every recording,with the score,the time and the levels THEN you will decide how much importance you will give to it on a game-basis...
Chad
Supereditor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, don't want to upset Kale here. I kind of like the fourth collumn idea, but we don't need a fourth collumn if everyone is forced to play at the hardest difficulty (like you [Kale] are doing anyway). So the only difference would be just to unimulitply your scores, I'll do it for you :)

You've made two points in a previous post, (1) Each game depends on wich difficulty you should use. (1a) this is answerd by each game has a parrent that is set at the best diffiulty to play at. (2) Having clones adds suruptiiously (that's not realy a good english adverb!) to the LB points, (2a) pushing alternative difficulties to the clones, takes away LB points from the main regulation competition.
mahlemiut
Supereditor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forcing people to use the hardest settings will probably just drive off anyone who isn't an absolute expert on a number of games. Let's face it, we need more players around here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home Action Replay Page Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: