Home Action Replay Page Forum Index Home Action Replay Page
Home Action Replay Page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MESS batch files

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home Action Replay Page Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJS
System Leader

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 5:03 am    Post subject: MESS batch files Reply with quote

Something for those tired of dealing with the messgui to try! Very Happy
It's not a front-end but it should help to launch mess more easily, at least until one of us write a decent fe.
I initially did this for myself but I've done some more work lately and decided to share.

Here it is:
http://msx.homeactionreplay.org/messbatch.zip

They are a set of cmd scripts which should work fine with Windows XP, 2000, 2003, etc (any version with cmd.exe afaik).
I won't write instructions since they are pretty easy to use, either run record.cmd or playback.cmd and it will show the options. Oh yes, first you have to edit messbatch.cfg to set a few options.

The main idea of these scripts is to avoid having to remember which system variants we use for each system, minimize the command line used as much as possible by showing a couple of menus, and most importantly, not losing the simplicity of the up arrow + enter to re-record ;)

Of course, there's still a lot of room for improvement, for example adding support for more systems... but that will be easy to do in the future.
For now, anyone interested give it a try and let me know if they work fine.
I am successfully using them on my w2003 machine.
Chad
Supereditor

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are nice scripts! I've been meaning to write an auto playbacker front end for a long time that will act like the bash scripts i use to playback marp and mess files based soley on the filename. This below is a playback script (pmess) that when given a harp filename as a parameter, you can just type

pmess 2869<tab><enter>

(or with filename completion it looks like this)

pmess "2869 - MJS - Pippols (J) - MSX1-Regulation Play - 1137210.zip"

The script will then will then

* extract the inp file
* determine the system used from the inp header(no need input manually which spec128 or spectrum, msx1/msx2, a500p/a1000n)
* determine the correct software image name (somewhat fuzzy intellegence is needed to convert a harp game name to a tosec name because years and some words disappear)
* then use the right software and mess options to run mess and begin playing back the recording. (cart/flop/snapshot and amiga bios)

Of course no one else will use this because it's highly personally configured, but it's something that could making playing things back mucho easier, with the potential for setting up a ZIP asociation so it will start playing the recording only with a double click! The only bad thing is that right now it requires cygwin bash, maybe someday i'll make it into an installable program with no external requirements.

http://wolfmess.homeactionreplay.org/playmess001.zip
MJS
System Leader

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I thought my scripts were unreadable! :D

No really, thanks for sharing! I will give it a try later.
When you can please post what we need to get it running (only cygwin?).

Now, if you want my opinion, I think you are expecting too much from the script.
I noticed the exceptional cases you had to consider to get the software recognition to work.
I don't think you can avoid specifying the software... UNLESS we add more information to the inp (which doesn't sound too bad if you think about it).

And the idea of reading the system from the inp is good but only useful for playback.
I was mainly concerned about making the recording process easier.

Anyway, cheers!!!
All this will be useful for the super front-end we will have one day, hehe.
Chad
Supereditor

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

by all means keep on the record part and i'll keep chuging at the playback part. Not readable? I did say no one would use it, but i'll welcome any attempts at using it as much as possible, thanks for planing on trying. I think it only nees cygwin from cygwin.com and to select installing unzip which is not installed by default. I'm definitley going to give your recording script a shot.

My main goal is to have a playback script that will do everything for the user (download the correct version of mame/mess also) so the only thing they'll have to do is find the roms/images (the script will tell them what they need). I've used the mame bash playback script one since 2001 (not much has changed unfortunately), it sure beats unziping the right version every time and typing command line or clicking butons. The mess one is a little more complicated because of images, and i agree the way the tosec game names change having perfectly automated mess recordings is impossible but at least we can specify a list of possible choices among the images that are available. So far the script works for all the games i've confirmed, the amiga names are making me add more fuzzy challenges.
Chad
Supereditor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJS wrote:
I don't think you can avoid specifying the software... UNLESS we add more information to the inp (which doesn't sound too bad if you think about it).

Late Reply:
If h.a.r.p. game names matched software names, you would NOT need to specify anything. This is kinda why I would like to be real strict on quotes and dashes and stuff in harp game names, if they are identical to the software file, you just take the software name from the harp file name and boom.

I'm also hoping for an nvram removal added to your (MJS) record script, and adding the new harp systems as well.
mahlemiut
Supereditor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A CRC check would be a better idea, and easier to store in the INP header. Only issue is, figuring out all the possible device options (ie: -flop/-flop1/-flop2/-cart and so on...)
Chad
Supereditor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're (me are) going to go that far might as well store the software options as well in the extended inp. It would be nice to store multiple device options -flop1 0x1234abcd -cart 0xdeadbeef with multiple crcs if multiple softwares are used but i'm not sure there is enough space in the XINP yet for that.
MJS
System Leader

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chad wrote:
If h.a.r.p. game names matched software names, you would NOT need to specify anything.

I insist... letting the scripts automatically recognize the software to use for playback is expecting too much from them in my opinion.
And it's not such a pain in the ass to do it manually after all.

Having said that, I like the idea of simplifying things even further and if you think you can come up with a nice solution let's discuss it!
Remember it's not only about storing the information but also using it later to detect the software to use, which can be zipped, blah blah (not straightforward).

Chad wrote:
I'm also hoping for an nvram removal added to your (MJS) record script, and adding the new harp systems as well.

Disabling nvram (not removal!) is part of configuring MESS, and the scripts do not take care of that... you think they should?

Remember, you can disable nvram, by either changing mess.ini to point to NUL in nvram_directory or by doing the old trick of creating a file without extension named "nvram" to prevent its creation automatically. As far as I know both methods still work... but I am a little behind on versions now.

I will post new versions of the scripts once I catch up with the latest versions... I've made changes already.
Chad
Supereditor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from latest memroy the latest mame versions don't allow nvram disabling features, you have to remove the files otherwise you get a crash, but i could be wrong. I really think this should be added in feature by wolfmame so the user can just use mame and always expect volitile memory to be cleared by default and having an -allownvram switch to disable the feature.

As you said of my script the only troublesome spot is having the script fuzzy learn the software names. But if the software names were standard in the harpPath they wouldn't need to have that complication. Thus it would NOT be expecting too much of a script to hard code some device settings and assume the software paths were the same as harp specifies. Having the crcs makes it more possible and more exact but you still have to search for a software with the same crc to play it back, not an easy task at all.

I guess if the software was free we could just have the software ON the harp site labeled with the harpname of the download and it would be trivial to just download the path from a harp directory and start playing back, one can dream.
MJS
System Leader

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chad wrote:
I guess if the software was free we could just have the software ON the harp site labeled with the harpname of the download and it would be trivial to just download the path from a harp directory and start playing back, one can dream.

And if save-states worked well we could use them instead of providing the software since most games load fully to memory Wink
Not sure if this would work with cartdriges though.

What about setting up our own...? oh nevermind, gb9 won't like it Razz
mahlemiut
Supereditor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, providing save-states wouldn't be all that different from providing the disk/cassette/cart images. ie: not exactly legal.
gameboy9
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJS wrote:

And if save-states worked well we could use them instead of providing the software since most games load fully to memory Wink
Not sure if this would work with cartdriges though.

What about setting up our own...? oh nevermind, gb9 won't like it Razz

No... I probably wouldn't. Smile It's called $150,000(475,000 Argentina Pesos) in civil damages to the IDSA PER violation. So if we put up every game in every system we support... that's probably about 30,000 games. So that would be $4,500,000,000(14,250,000,000 Argentina Pesos) in fines. Yeah. I'd be committing suicide then... LOL!
MJS
System Leader

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated the scripts with the version I had in my computer.
They are working fine with the newer versions of WolfMESS and I've added support for more systems.
If there's any system or variant missing, please tell me and I'll add it... or you are welcome to do it yourself Cool

http://msx.homeactionreplay.org/messbatch.zip
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home Action Replay Page Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: