Home Action Replay Page Forum Index Home Action Replay Page
Home Action Replay Page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MESS Frontend Test
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home Action Replay Page Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chad
Supereditor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, shoot i haven't enouncountered that because i haven't loaded all titles, i load them as i play them back. There is another issue with the messgui that the spectrum system doesn't remeber the cartridge you last used, so you have to select it each time, i think this is because there are three other devices listed before cartridge and mess only remembers the last first device loaded.

both of these problems should be fixed by the new frontend (and actually mjs's batch script too :) In addition, I hope to add code to barry's program to where all you need to do is double click on a harp downloaded file and it will start playing back or tell you which files are missing (no selecting of systems/software/nothing) just whammo.
gameboy9
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that's something I look forward to...
mahlemiut
Supereditor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck trying to match software. Smile There's plenty of variables with loading software, I can't imagine it'd be easy to make a solution that works for every system.
mahlemiut
Supereditor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://mahlemiut.marpirc.net/frontendbeta5.zip

Fixes issue with splitting the INP filename path. Silly me changed all instances using '\' for a directory separator to '/', as Windows file functions typically accept either. The INP path is now correctly split from the filename on both Windows and Linux, and put into the input_directory switch. Should fix Skito's issue with INP filenames.

EDIT: Re-uploaded, now works on playback too Smile
Chad
Supereditor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mahlemiut wrote:
Good luck trying to match software. :) There's plenty of variables with loading software, I can't imagine it'd be easy to make a solution that works for every system.

It's not really that difficult, all the info is in the harp filename. For most systems the software name is identical to the harp gamename. So you can just load it right from the harp filename. For the atari systems the software name contains the year and company in parenthesis, so you just add some fuzzy regular expression stream editing on the names for thos systems and you're there. Note i've already got a rudementary bash script that works pretty well to play back the harp file with out any extra software/system selection for most games.
mahlemiut
Supereditor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really think that simply matching the filename is really enough. They do change across tool versions, after all. A CRC check would be far better.
Chad
Supereditor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i agree, but how are we going to get a crc in the harp filename or inp? If harpnames are exactly same as the software filenames there's no problem. So you either have the software with the correct name or have to find it and rename it to the harp name.
mahlemiut
Supereditor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the difficult bit. But it's the only way to virtually guarantee that the right software image is being used. Maybe matching with the corresponding MESS hash files, or perhaps make our own, would be an idea.
Chad
Supereditor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that would be the thing to do if you don't want pass crcs anywhere. It could work, we'd either make our own hash files that are named identical to the harp name, or we rename the harp games to the existing hash files. That could really work, then you could look up the name in the hash file and then look up the crc in the directories. Seems like an intensive operation though, looking through thousands of zip files searching for a crc just to playback one... you'd have to create some crc cache so you wouldn't need to read all the files every time.
mahlemiut
Supereditor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess a small program could be written to automate the process of making a hash file.

GoodCPC certainly lists the scanned images, with CRC in CPCScan.txt. I presume TOSEC tools do something similar, like the dats that appear everywhere.
Chad
Supereditor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a flaw to the crc approach that is prevalent. Personally I'm unable to find all the software for systems, and this willl be more of an issue to people not familiar with emulation. However, i'm finding games still playback if you have found an alternate version (not always of course.) But if you have the U or E version of the game, it will playback even though the game was recorded with the W version. With the forced crc lookup, you'd still want to default to find the software with the closest name if the crc search in the client software dir fails.
mahlemiut
Supereditor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some of the (W) sets are the same as the (UE) or (JUE) versions as it is, where different tool versions simply give them a different name. Probably something to be checked...
Chad
Supereditor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, that could be (and the crcs would matchup anyway). But at the very least you (the coders:) need a prompt to come up not with just an error saying not found but a prompt in the directory of the system to choose which software you want to try it with.

I wonder when i'm going to stop designing this in my head and start doing it... maybe when i become comfortable creating a squatNET gui which can only happen when i get mono working cause i sure as heck not going to code it on windows.
mahlemiut
Supereditor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chad wrote:
I wonder when i'm going to stop designing this in my head and start doing it... maybe when i become comfortable creating a squatNET gui which can only happen when i get mono working cause i sure as heck not going to code it on windows.

Any particular reason? Main reason I use VC#2008 is because my older Linux PC is simply too poor for running MonoDevelop. (Yes, 128MB sucks)
Chad
Supereditor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mahlemiut wrote:
Chad wrote:

Any particular reason? Main reason I use VC#2008 is because my older Linux PC is simply too poor for running MonoDevelop. (Yes, 128MB sucks)

Just sick of how much money microsoft gets and they have never made better than a free operating system at a core level. I purchased VC++6 and i'm not about to go purchasing VC2003 VC2008 and VC2012 or whatever majic crap version they come up with next just to fit in and be poor, when there is a free compiler and free working environment elsewhere. I sound like an environmentalist dont i?

So why don't you just dual boot your VC#2008 system? you can't be running on 128MB for that?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home Action Replay Page Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: