Home Action Replay Page Forum Index Home Action Replay Page
Home Action Replay Page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

wolfmess partial/full emulation mode

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home Action Replay Page Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chad
Supereditor

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 4:14 am    Post subject: wolfmess partial/full emulation mode Reply with quote

How do people think about setting the default emulation mode to partial instead of full?

Right now official mess starts in FULL emulation mode, which means all keys are directly sent to the emulator and not used for mess functions. Anyone have a preference if wolfmess should start in full or partial emulation mode? I'd like to change to partial so if you are running full sreen with -nonewui you don't have to hit scroll lock before hitting esc to stop the emulation.
MJS
System Leader

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go along with you.
Chad
Supereditor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems defaulting to partial emulation on startup makes it impossible to play a at least galaga on the x68000, it gives a boot error when starting with partial emulation (using the galaga image anywa). I'll have to make an -emumode option where you could choose to start with parial or full emulation, and probably keep the default of full emulation.
mahlemiut
Supereditor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds weird... you're not pressing any other keys during booting? Most keys are mapped to something (the X68000 keyboard has more keys than a PC keyboard).
Chad
Supereditor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't read the kanji of course, but it certainly was a message and i couldn't get to the prompt. even with print screen :) And of course now i can't repeat it. It must have been an nvram thing, as i wasn't removing it, but i'm not removing it now and can't get it to happen again, plays fine even when compiled with partial mode on hardcoded by default...

EDIT** and now it's happening in FULL EMULATION Mode, so i'll be setting partial by default after all, and it doesn't seem related to anything but time...
mahlemiut
Supereditor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, sometimes the NVRAM can be "corrupted" or something for some unexplained reason. Removing the NVRAM will fix the problem. Supposed holding Opt.1 while rebooting should refresh it too, but I've never gotten that to work, personally.
Chad
Supereditor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, it's definitley an nvram thing, that's the complete disadvantage of using the gui, having to manually remove the nvram file all the time. the gui lets you manage and play multiple files with out having a script hardcoded for each game/system, now it's time to try mjs's mess record thingy.
MJS
System Leader

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind my record thingy assumes you have mess.ini already configured properly.

To disable nvram in windows mess: nvram_directory NUL
Chad
Supereditor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

used the record script, it's great. I think with a command line optional system variable i.e. record "software" [messSystem] so you wouldn't have to input the system each time, it would be awesome, might as weill add the -nvram_dir NULL to the default cfg file if that works, i thought it ceased to work a few versions ago.
MJS
System Leader

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it works for you, cool! 8)

I didn't add the system as a parameter because the idea was to use the menu options.
And you probably didn't notice, but you only have to enter the system and the variant of that system the first time.
After the first time, you only have to do up arrow + enter 4 times and you are re-recording Wink

Also, if you don't want to set the nvram directory to NUL (notice it's only one L) in mess.ini, you can edit messbatch.cfg (the script configuration file) and add it as a parameter in MESSBATCH_RECORDOPTIONS.
Chad
Supereditor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the return return sounds cool but record wise it doesn't appear to work, it defaults to 'q' and then exits on the first return. But with a parameter you can set up a couple of different games (with software/system pairs) and up arrow to the right one and only have to hit return once.

oh and mess's preservation of initialization settings are kind of wicked so you might want to say -record *.inp -playback "" and -record "" -playback *.inp for the record.cmd and playback.cmd files specifically to prevent wolfmess from trying to record and playback at the same time and mess it up.
mahlemiut
Supereditor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd presume that MESS is the same as MAME in that it actually crashes on exit if you set nvram_directory to NUL with games that use NVRAM.
MJS
System Leader

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I forgot about that.
Actually I have the dummy file to prevent the creation of the nvram directory (0kb file named nvram).

Not sure what you mean by mess's preservation of initialization settings.
If you are using the script you should not be able to record and playback at the same time. If you managed to do that, please tell so that I fix it.

And the default option for each menu should be the last option you entered. It's not working for you? It uses two environment variables to store them.
mahlemiut
Supereditor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I did for MMF, was to set cfg_directory and nvram_directory to a temporary folder, and upon exit, the temporary folder would be cleaned and deleted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home Action Replay Page Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: