Home Action Replay Page Forum Index Home Action Replay Page
Home Action Replay Page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What should I do with 21,540MB of hosting space?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home Action Replay Page Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chad
Supereditor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gameboy9 wrote:
When this site started, I had like 800MB of disk space and something like 10GB of bandwidth and spent $10USD / month.

Some fifteen months later, I now have 21,700 MB of disk space, of which, 21,540 MB remain, and 1000GB (1 TB!) of bandwidth... and I don't think I've reached a GB of bandwidth yet! And now I'm spending $8USD / month.

So what should I do with all of this space? I don't know, but if we keep this up, we're going to start making AVIs legal here or something.

does this space still exist for use? I actually have an idea, although it might make more sens for marp than harp but still could help harp.

I have all the sources tar balls for archived/ancient xmame and sdlmame (and sdlmess) and was going to make srpms for them so people could build any version of xmame for ANY linux box (currently you can really only build one mame executable at a time for xwolfmame and sdlwolfmame and sdlwolfmess (which really only works on THAT linux version you build it on) but if you had an srpm and a few tweaks you could just run a simple command to download the srpm and build AND install the executable. sooo... can i use this for archiving/distributing old xmame and sdlmame srpms? alltogether they only takes a gig or two.
gameboy9
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, now I'm up to 278.7 GB, 278.2 GB of it free... Laughing So yeah, I think I can sacrifice a gig or two for your project. Laughing

What web address do you want me to set up?
Chad
Supereditor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh a separate name? sweet, i should probably contact rbelmont for permission first. If you don't already know what i'm getting at, here's the jist. Make a program that takes a harp/marp file, gets the version number (not yet in the harp name yet but luckily the mess versions write the mess version into the inp) then check to see if you have the wolfmess.exe installed, if not (download from this page) build it and install it, and then check if you have the right bioses, if not find them, if you have the right software (report that you must find them somewhere and put them in a shown location)

A lot of stuff to do but if all the right files are there it runs the right mess version and plays back the harp file, all with out clicking anything but the harp file after downloading it... seems like a hefty task but it would introduce a large huge group of people who don't like using commandlines or guis to this stuff, they'd still have to get past finding the roms. (I'd like to try and convince barry to help him with incorporating something like this in the new gui he is buidling.)
Chad
Supereditor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw, make it emulators.homeactionreplay.org, waiting for rbelmonts permision, and i should also ask lgold too.
gameboy9
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chad wrote:
btw, make it emulators.homeactionreplay.org, waiting for rbelmonts permision, and i should also ask lgold too.

I'll stand by on that, then.
Chad
Supereditor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelmont says it's ok, i don't think i'll hear (or need to) from mr.gold as the xmame source is pretty much ditched. is there a way to link the wolfmess and emulators sites? Perhaps I can just use the wolfmess site to host different emulators in different directories, that actually sounds good. This would also be a place for any emulator distribution that harp uses, so we can create static links to the executables and also include in the game entries (like marp does with the get mame links.)
gameboy9
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chad wrote:
rbelmont says it's ok, i don't think i'll hear (or need to) from mr.gold as the xmame source is pretty much ditched. is there a way to link the wolfmess and emulators sites? Perhaps I can just use the wolfmess site to host different emulators in different directories, that actually sounds good. This would also be a place for any emulator distribution that harp uses, so we can create static links to the executables and also include in the game entries (like marp does with the get mame links.)

As long as I program them, yeah, I would like to try to get links on the wolfmame stuff, etc.

There really is no archive of all the mame/mame32/mameplus/etc. versions anymore(MARP is missing a substantial number of MAME versions, at least MAME32 versions), so I hope this site you're making will help out in that regard.

OK - I created emulators.homeactionreplay.org under your login.
Chad
Supereditor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool, that is the idea. I will drop all the mame+mess versions i have, probably more than marp on there. Feel free to drop the other emulator zips in system directories. Can http://emulators.homeactionreplay.org/wolfmess be http://wolfmess.homeactionreplay.org?
gameboy9
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean could wolfmame -> emulators/wolfmame?

Probably can do an auto-address change HTML-wise, couldn't you? I guess I don't understand the question.
Chad
Supereditor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yeah i could change references to it, but it would be nice to have the wolfmess hosted directory in emulators be the same directory as the wolfmess current site. Otherwise emulators.homeactionreplay.org would host all emulators besides wolfmess, if we weren't going to mirror wolfmess releases (double the storage size), which since we have the space it may not be an issue.

note when i say sdlmame and sdlmess i mean sdlwolfmame and sdlwolfmess.
Chad
Supereditor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

note: i'm getting a wierd error while trying to upload the 123 source.

sdlmame0123.zip: ETA: 0:00 0.13/ 15.40 MB 318.88 MB/s Lost data connection to remote host: Broken pipe.

I get it after repeated tries, this sort of tells me it's a disk space/quota issue?
gameboy9
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!

Yeah, you ran out of space. I increased your quota... oh... 40 fold. Smile
Chad
Supereditor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zwaxy is making a backup copy of marp now, but can we put a 2nd backup of marp on here? I think marp needs 6-8 gigs to backup.
gameboy9
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well now I have like 400GB of space... so I guess I couldn't see why not...
MJS
System Leader

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, we could make videos out of the replays and put them online with all that space... but it would also consume more bandwith of course.

But wouldn't it be cool? To have the video instead of the screenshot like youtube and if you want you download the replay... heh Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home Action Replay Page Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: