Home Action Replay Page Forum Index Home Action Replay Page
Home Action Replay Page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HC 2010 Postmortem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home Action Replay Page Forum Index -> HARP Championships
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gameboy9
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: HC 2010 Postmortem Reply with quote

So here's some ways I think that I could have done better for this tournament, so I can prepare for next year:

- Two game series with percentage scoring. Sometimes the first idea is the best idea, and I'm thinking that that's the case here.
- Finals best two out of three, with no percentage scoring whatsoever... maybe. Either that or three game series w/ percentage scoring.
- No breaks in between rounds. When the games are known, you really can just charge into the next round, so you have a full seven days to play.
- Games played in a HARP Championship are banned for five years.
- Seeding will improve to 50% performance in the previous HARP Championships, 25% LB point rank, and 25% LB avg rank.
- Improvement in your rank average if you win a specific system tournament. Maybe 1/100th point per participating player for a victory, 1/200th point for 2nd, and 1/400th point for 3rd.

Any other thoughts on improving this tournament for next year?
negative1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: HC 2010 Postmortem Reply with quote

gameboy9 wrote:
So here's some ways I think that I could have done better for this tournament, so I can prepare for next year:

- Two game series with percentage scoring. Sometimes the first idea is the best idea, and I'm thinking that that's the case here.
- Finals best two out of three, with no percentage scoring whatsoever... maybe. Either that or three game series w/ percentage scoring.
- No breaks in between rounds. When the games are known, you really can just charge into the next round, so you have a full seven days to play.
- Games played in a HARP Championship are banned for five years.
- Seeding will improve to 50% performance in the previous HARP Championships, 25% LB point rank, and 25% LB avg rank.
- Improvement in your rank average if you win a specific system tournament. Maybe 1/100th point per participating player for a victory, 1/200th point for 2nd, and 1/400th point for 3rd.

Any other thoughts on improving this tournament for next year?

i like the idea of 2 games instead of 1.. gives you a better chance in case you can't play well in one of them..

also, no breaks to speed things up..

other than that, try not to have the same types of games..
1 of each type.. shooter/maze/puzzle/platform etc..

that way it changes things up..

later
MJS
System Leader

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers gb9! It was a fun tournament!

In my opinion, it was ok that it was a 1v1 tournament. I would consider making it double-elimination though, so that everyone gets a second chance and nobody is eliminated the first week.

It was ok (and I think we should stick to this) that we knew from the start the schedule and which games were going to be played in each round. It was also great that we picked the games. I am not so sure about how we picked them, though. Maybe we should think about a better method. I was thinking, what if we allow players to propose any number of games (all the games they want) and then instead of randomly picking from each player's proposals, everyone votes for the other people's proposals. The most voted games end up in the tournament. This way nobody can complain about a game being boring, too difficult, too easy, whatever, because they are the most voted from the initial proposals.

It was also ok that each round took 1 week and we always had one weekend to play. This is important for people who don't have much free time. And still, the whole tourney didn't take too long because there weren't many rounds, this was also very good.

Last thought, this is pretty obvious, it would be much more fun if more people played... but there's nothing we can do about this I guess. On the other hand, it is nice that we all know each other and we don't have to worry about anyone cheating or whatever :)

I have something else on my mind but it doesn't have a lot to do with this kind of tournament, I will post about that some other day.
gameboy9
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I thought about 1-game per round, double elimination myself... but there are some implications of that... i.e. sometimes the winners bracket has to take a one round break so the loser's bracket can "catch up", so to speak.

Most votes wins? Well, this may work in this situation with some provisos... but... let's see, MJS... you joined MARP in 2001. Back in 1999 and 2000, we had 10 game MARP tournaments... and we did something similar... most votes wins. And we found that people were "vote leeching"... basically getting a bunch of people together that didn't play in the tournament to get the votes they wanted. Now, I don't think that would happen here... but... I'm a little itchy about having a "most votes wins" rule because of that.

Boy... I had to look back to the Greenspun board. Wow... that's old skool right there. I think a lot of us remember that board. Smile
MJS
System Leader

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gameboy9 wrote:
Back in 1999 and 2000, we had 10 game MARP tournaments... and we did something similar... most votes wins. And we found that people were "vote leeching"... basically getting a bunch of people together that didn't play in the tournament to get the votes they wanted. Now, I don't think that would happen here... but... I'm a little itchy about having a "most votes wins" rule because of that.

I don't think that would happen here either, yes maybe I am a little too optimistic, some people do stupid things like that, but we can end up with a much better game selection if it works well. Voting is definitely better than random, isn't it? I think it is. And I think there must be a way to prevent the fake players from voting. Something like they must have submitted X number of replays, have a forum user, I don't know.

Well, there's time to think about it before the next tournament!
gameboy9
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been thinking about this more carefully as time goes on... I'm now thinking this:

- No seed bonus for MARP tournaments. I really should just stick to HARP events. (so the Speccy Tour and the Atari Tournament will still qualify for seed bonuses)
- Keep the two game series, but instead, everybody picks 6 games, and for each matchup, each player will play a randomly selected game out of each of their list of games, using a percentage scoring system.
- If the game is non-scoring, we'll have to figure out a way to score it.

The later idea does sound very confusing, especially while the tournament is in progress, but if you think about it, it would be very fair, because then everybody gets to play at least one game they want to play.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home Action Replay Page Forum Index -> HARP Championships All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: