Home Action Replay Page Forum Index Home Action Replay Page
Home Action Replay Page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pete's pipe dream for HARP
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home Action Replay Page Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Q.T.Quazar
System Leader

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but that's my point, gb9. if you were to disappear, the site would have exactly the same problem as MARP.

read what i said in the other post about management vs. investment. i fully support a limited, unelected/undemocratic group in management, but not in site control/ownership, because it makes everything a risky investment. follow me?

i was never going after you back at MARP for organizing a democracy--the only gripe i had with that, specifically, is that RRoO is a painfully slow way to get things done--it was rather that we apply the wrong systems to the wrong points. the more you spread ownership over a group, the higher and the safer the investment. the opposite, however, happens with management--inefficiency and misinformed decisions are made (look at what happened with the tournaments, LB, and voting at MARP--you got a taste of what i did, years later, when you tried to assert control of a situation that was getting out of hand (in my case, i mean the voting stuff, not the cutting Tommi off, which was a bad decision on my part and cost me))

one site 'owner' is a very risky investment for a player, since by absenteeism or 'burning the house down' (if they chose), they can effectively destroy hours of work/investment by their players.

(optional reading)***(what pissed me off in the RC debacle, all those years ago, is that Benjos *deliberately* took what i said in IRC Editor's chat about democracy out of context, and started misrepresenting my position. and that THAT all started because i said, of all things, that i didn't think his Pnickies clear should be on the tips and tricks page, since it wasn't either of those)
gameboy9
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... I can understand all of that frustration. I've had my frustration too, and I definitely wished I didn't leave my editor post in 2003 or 2004 or whenever I did it.

All this being said, I think we need to learn from the past and apply that to the future. That being said, I really need to give Chad rights to the PHP files on my site. (assuming he still wants those rights) My issue is that I program for a living. When I program for 40 hours / week, I'm not really motivated to program anything else. Then we would have two people improving the site. Better chances of making things better, yes?
Q.T.Quazar
System Leader

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes. and i totally understand the programming thing. i have the same problem with writing. nor is it easy to let other people into your baby. but i think the long-term gains outweigh what you lose in exclusivity--especially in terms of legacy.
Chad
Supereditor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gameboy9 wrote:
But I know I have the better site, even if I did nothing further to it. I think that was my original point of making HARP, actually...

Going a little off topic: It is a clearly better site overall but one way harp is not better than MARP is where MARP links to most emulators used directly on the uploads page. Here at HARP you have to hunt and peck to find the emulator.
gameboy9
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a valid and very good point, I admit. But anyway, I think I'm ready to give you a username/pw to HARP if you want to help out, Chad. Let me know.
Chad
Supereditor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i would love to help out, but i also don't have a lot of my time to devote, i found another bumpable issue maybe i can work on related to comments:

http://www.homeactionreplay.org/editcomment.php

this page should show previous comments so you can know more about what you are commenting or responding to in comments. I made a comment link click mistake and added a comment/response to the wrong game, if i knew that there were diffferent comments i might have hit back and clicked the right comment link before submiting.
Chad
Supereditor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where can I go to look at source, or just login with new username?
gameboy9
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Login w/ the username/pw, then go into the homeactionreplay.org directory. All the PHP files should be there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home Action Replay Page Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: