Home Action Replay Page Forum Index Home Action Replay Page
Home Action Replay Page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What should I do with 21,540MB of hosting space?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home Action Replay Page Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chad
Supereditor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that would be a goal i would work for. videos would be way less illegal than the inps which force people to use the software they may not have license too. I wonder what the legal issues are of having videos of copyrighted games, probably the same if people are greedy enough.

you can also go back with videos while inps you have to start over if you want to see what happened in the last 5 seconds.
Chad
Supereditor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With mess 0.130 I tried using -mngwrite and -aviwrite but they both made mng files that i couldn't open :(
mahlemiut
Supereditor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-aviwrite should produce a raw AVI file, that can be converted to another format. Main issue with videos, however, is variable video modes. There are very few (if any) video formats that supports changing frame resolution on the fly. Only way around that would be using something like FRAPS, that will record the window or the screen in general.
Chad
Supereditor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

got aviwrite to work but it produces a gig a minute files and 32 bit executeables can't make files longer than 3 minutes because of the 4gig limit. mng might be more convenient if i can get it to play.
gameboy9
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - I've set up a marp.homeactionreplay.org and put it under skito's account for the MARP backup.
MJS
System Leader

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chad wrote:
that would be a goal i would work for. videos would be way less illegal than the inps which force people to use the software they may not have license too. I wonder what the legal issues are of having videos of copyrighted games, probably the same if people are greedy enough.

We already have screenshots of the games... I don't think uploading videos would be any different from the legal point of view.
Anyway I was just thinking out loud, there is a lot of work involved, like setting up everything on the webpage to see the videos, and of course making the videos...

Chad wrote:
you can also go back with videos while inps you have to start over if you want to see what happened in the last 5 seconds.

Actually that could be possible with inps!
See for example this video of an msx emulator called meisei:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8U0EoSg9es

You can fast forward, rewind, etc :)
Chad
Supereditor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

possible with certain system emulators but i suspect not with all games, it is possible to reverse engineer instructions but some instructions like ror 0x11 the result is 0x1 but going backwards from 0x1 to 0x11 is tricky since ror 0x10 also results in 0x1... I guess if you kept a log of memory changes and registers while playing back it'd be possible.

But the idea here is to get away from using the emulator illegally, videos is the answer to make everything at least slightly more legal and infinitely more usable for the average gamer who doesn't know or care to use an emulator.
mahlemiut
Supereditor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandwidth is also an issue with videos, for both those hosting the video, and for those downloading or streaming it. Torrents are an idea for reducing hosting cost, but it's worse for those downloading (often not fast, and uses even more bandwidth).

*gets back to his measly 3GB/month limit*
gameboy9
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandwidth is definitely an issue. What if somebody with bad intent just wants to download a whole hoard of movies, therefore draining out my bandwidth limit?

Now, granted, I have 8 1/2 terabytes of bandwidth on this site, but if multiple people did that, I'd have a hefty bill to pay and would pretty much shut the site down. Not fun.
Chad
Supereditor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we'd have to compress the videos so a size restriction of a couple undred megs could be imposed and put more security on downloading, not more than one video upload per day or maybe only let administrators "make" videos of existing recordings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home Action Replay Page Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: