Home Action Replay Page Forum Index Home Action Replay Page
Home Action Replay Page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Difficulty Multipliers -> Divisors
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home Action Replay Page Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chad
Supereditor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you really think anyone interest in playing a game is going to get turned off by the difficulty of it? OK, if you haven't played the game before, and you have to play at max difficulty you will shy away (AND submit another game which you were probably gong to do anyway.) But if you have played it (or the point here is if you have interest in it), you would try any difficulty.

I'm certainly FOR bringing as many players here as possible, but making things simpler is going to be more of a draw than enforcing difficulties is going to be a repulse.
mahlemiut
Supereditor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My preference is just to have the scores shown as is. No modification, no nothing. I don't want to have to whip out the Windows Calculator just to confirm a score. Screw the leaderboard. Let people play at the difficulty they want to.
Chad
Supereditor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also agree with that idea, no calculators at harp. That would leave Kale's questions to be dealt with. He did seem quite adamant in keeping the multipliers. And i want to understand fully why he thinks they are important.

Actually if bonus should only be given for multiplers when a game is completed why was my sms Bram Strokers Dracula recording multiplied? it's close but no cigar, even though it was at high difficulty.
mahlemiut
Supereditor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rule changed a few months back - http://forums.homeactionreplay.org/viewtopic.php?p=1391#1391

I can live with the multiplying as it is now.
gameboy9
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is games that go ad-infinitum. (A ton of Atari 2600 games... Donkey Kong Jr. and Food Fight for the Atari 7800, as examples) You can't beat the game, only marathon it.

Those games I wonder if we should force highest difficulty... or just some sort of difficulty. Either or.
MJS
System Leader

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never liked the multipliers either.
I agree with mahlemiut, we should let people play as they want and leave the score as it is.

If we want the difficulty to be part of the calculation of the recording position, then I think the proper solution is to have a difficulty field and add a new scoring system which gives precendence to that and then the score.

But again, as Barry said, those are things we shouldn't worry about right now... before that, we need more players!

PS: Not to discourage anyone, the latest batchs of uploads have been awesome! Cool
NotMan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJS wrote:
Quote:
PS: Not to discourage anyone, the latest batchs of uploads have been awesome!

Uh, where yours, MJS? :P

NotMan
Kale

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chad wrote:
I also agree with that idea, no calculators at harp. That would leave Kale's questions to be dealt with. He did seem quite adamant in keeping the multipliers. And i want to understand fully why he thinks they are important.

I like the idea to give some "accomplishment" to finish a game on an harder setting rather than default AND to see that only finished games should be multiplied.It's a good idea in my humble opinion so why screw it up?
Additionally notice that:
-almost all games doesn't reward you if you play a game on an harder setting;
-on some of them you will have less points due of less bonuses on harder setting (i.e. Castle of Illusion for MD/Genesis,my upcoming recording)
-some of them doesn't even give a sh*t if you beat it (i.e. again Spiderman vs. Kingpin,I've scored LESS by 730 points than my previous recording even if I've beated it).
So in the end,a decent compromise is to add a fourth column on a game basis for difficulty setting,give it the maximum priority for most of the games,zero it if you don't finish the game,1 if you beat the game at the easiest setting,2 to the second easiest setting etc.
BUT...who will write the php code,update all the game list,update/playback ALL the existing recordings?Not me,I hope... Laughing
gameboy9
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to second Kale's idea.

The PHP... that isn't going to be easy, but I guess I have to take care of that. :)

Who's going to look through all 1,092 active recordings is a much more tedious effort... somewhat (some people give it away in their descriptions)
MJS
System Leader

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NotMan wrote:
Uh, where yours, MJS? Razz

Off-topic! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home Action Replay Page Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: