Home Action Replay Page Forum Index Home Action Replay Page
Home Action Replay Page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WolfMESS Compo Mode.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home Action Replay Page Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frankie
System Leader

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: WolfMESS Compo Mode. Reply with quote

Hi

We should probably add a text somewhere that all systems played on MESS must be played under Compo Mode. There should also be an instruction on how do turn on Compo Mode, and it should be easy to find Smile

Otherwise we'll probably have to DQ a lot of recordings in the future. Of course recordings made with WolfMess 114 or older already online are allowed without Compo Mode, but the older versions of WolfMess should be banned from now on.

Bye.

HARP Spectrum System Leader.
http://www.zxspectrum.homeactionreplay.org/index.php

HARP Amiga System Leader:
http://forums.homeactionreplay.org/viewforum.php?f=29
mahlemiut
Supereditor

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not even sure exactly what Compo mode even does... Smile
Chad
Supereditor

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the -tournament option is used (Options->Misc->tournament in the gui tab), the tournament number is added to the inp, so we can "sort of" verify that people are recording at the right times. In additon like the spectaculator, wolfmess goes into a state where if you pause the emulator for a few seconds the recording will stop saying emulation performance degraded.

I really think tournament mode should be required on a system by system basis for those moderators that want to enforce it. It's not 100% secure so i don't think it's a thing that should be for all mess recordings. It basically provides similar security to what the spectaculator does except the tournement number is not bare bones in the inp file like it is in the rsx file.
Frankie
System Leader

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chad wrote:

I really think tournament mode should be required on a system by system basis for those moderators that want to enforce it. It's not 100% secure so i don't think it's a thing that should be for all mess recordings. It basically provides similar security to what the spectaculator does except the tournement number is not bare bones in the inp file like it is in the rsx file.

Maybe you are right Chad. Maybe it should only be enforced in these cases:

1. In a tournament.
2. On the Spectrum area as there are other pure Spectrum Emulators that already have it, and it would be unfair to allow to play without Compo Mode on WolfMess when playing Spectrum games.

I'm also concerned what happens the day that WinUAE's recording is up and running prefectly. They do produce INP files, but doesn't have Compo Mode. I'm not sure that analinp can read those INP files perfectly at all. Therefore it would be a shame when the day comes that we can't use WinUAE because it doesn't have Compo Mode, because we have started Amiga competition on WolfMess forcing Compo Mode. My reason for concern is that the Amiga emulation on WolfMess lacks a lot compared to WinUAE, and I'm not sure it will ever reach that quality. Some games I've tested just doesn't run because they need more RAM, and I've still not been able to get a multi-disk game to work on WolfMess.

So maybe it would be best not to enforce Compo Mode on Amiga WolfMess. Anyone?

HARP Spectrum System Leader.
http://www.zxspectrum.homeactionreplay.org/index.php

HARP Amiga System Leader:
http://forums.homeactionreplay.org/viewforum.php?f=29
Chad
Supereditor

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wouldn't mind playing amiga games on compo mode, enforcing that the speed not dip longer than a few seconds below 50% (basically what compo mode enforces.) But you're right about allowing winUAE will not have a compo mode and you'll proly want to allow those when they work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home Action Replay Page Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: